2006-08-27

Ties and Pocket Squares

I often find that I have to remind myself how to tie a Windsor knot because I don't wear ties very often. Here're a couple sites with good directions: SharpMan.com and at Neckties.com.

Incidentally, my dad showed me how to tie a four-in-hand knot when I first had to wear a tie, but I found the length of the tie is typically too long and the knot too small that way. Recently I've used the Windsor knot because it's fuller, but the proportions are hard to get right and I typically have to re-tie it at least once after my first attempt at a given sitting.

I also found some rules for suiting up. It's always good to know such things.

The one thing I never learned was how to tie a "pocket square". Neckties.com had the most comprehensive collection of diagrams, but eSuit.com also had a few pictures. Seems like in Japan, no one wears pocket squares, however.

No comments: