2006-08-12

The Curse of Storage

This article by Momus was actually interesting. Normally I don't really dig his stuff because it's mostly obvious to anyone of modest intelligence who's lived in Japan, but this piece was good because it was something I'd been thinking about myself a lot lately. Spaces and organization, specifically, how my living spaces are different in the U.S. and in Japan. Part of it was instigated by reading David Allen, but it's all tied together.

Ultimately, the most useful thing in the article is this quote:
"There are some men of letters who do not model themselves on the present, but study the past in order to criticize the present age," declared the Chinese emperor Qin Huang-di in the third century B.C.
Those men may've been massacred, but I intend to have enough weaponry to fend off anything the modern emperors can throw at me. Weapons are as important to real scholars as are their books—pure intellectuals are useless in practice.

Oops, like Momus, I digressed all over the place in this entry.

No comments: