2018-01-14

Installing Nvidia Drivers on Ubuntu

After installing Ubuntu with the Nvidia drivers, nvidia-settings wouldn't display the overclocking options.  Modifying /etc/X11/xorg.conf didn't help, because gpu-manager was overwriting the file.  The Bumblebee module (bbswitch), which is for switching between an integrated GPU and a standalone one, was failing to load, causing gpu-manager to behave badly.  Bumblebee isn't what I need, since I want to run the display on the Intel video and keep the GPUs running for mining.  Apparently this is still a problem with people, since complaints turn up on the BB Git page.

The devs seem to ignore the requests, possibly because it's due to misconfiguration.  Based on my log, it seems that the Nvidia drivers are being loaded prior to gpu-manager invoking modprobe bbswitch.

Two pages turned up with hints on how to resolve the problem.  The first one was easier to follow, but the Nvidia run script failed to build the DKMS module.  There's a second page that may be of help since that first one didn't do the trick....

Incidentally, at one point I'd used nvidia-prime to switch to the Intel driver and upon reboot the login page would freeze.  A page suggested reinstalling ubuntu-desktop, which surprisingly worked.

Follow-up [1/14]: Well, none of that stuff worked.  In fact, using the Nvidia run file, I couldn't even log into X, as it got stuck in a "login loop".  So I ripped out all of that, installed the PPA drivers, and I'm back where I started--what a waste of time.  I guess that's why Linux is free and you have to pay for Windows.  The last thing I have to try is switching off the IGA and using the GPU as the video adapter in the hope that gpu-manager won't screw with xorg.conf.

No comments: