2017-12-07

Ethereum Mining

It's been a quarter since my last post.  Bitcoin is up over $16k, and other cryptos are up too.  Apparently making regular buys via ACH is destined to not be easy, so mining is looking attractive again.  Well, if it's break-even with zero profit, I'm still interested, for that reason.  (Not interested in "cloud mining contracts" because I don't trust code running on someone else's computer.)

Recently I was looking at mining Ethereum because it's still profitable with GPUs.  Bitcoin and Litecoin both have ASICs available, making it a hardware arms race.  Based on several articles (Cryptocompare on hashrate, TechSpot on hashrate, Tom's Hardware on ETH's effect on card prices) it appears that the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 is the best balance of cost and hashrate.  ~18 MH/s in 120W for $280 times three should pay for the GPUs in under a year's time, especially if the price of ETH keeps going up.  Of course, there's the cost of the mobo, processor, memory, and OS (if I don't use Linux).  I have an NOS Soldam case lying around, although I'll have to check if the power supply is sufficient.

No comments: