2012-03-23

ChiCom M14s

So I'm back to wrestling with whether or not to get a Chinese M14.  Obviously, I'm not enamored with the fact that it's Chinese-made, considering that they're our main political and economic opponent.  However, I'm hesitant to pay $1500+ for a cast receiver.  According to BTP, SA has had some trouble with their cast receivers (it's unclear if that's fixed or not) and while he mentioned the Chinese forged receivers, he said that they were soft and need heat-treating to bring the hardness up.

As a result, I was reading forums and came across this one on Calguns:
Ever wonder where Springfield Armory Inc gets its "investment cast" commercial parts?...Answer: Wayne Machine Inc. Where is Wayne Machine Inc located???...Answer: Taiwan.
http://waynemachine.com.tw/

If you think your buying a full fledged American built, American made, American parts rifle....think again buddy. ;)
Another source notes that small parts come from China, whereas the receivers are Canadian, and yet another forum actually references a business info page that mentions SA.  So...that kind of eliminates the "buy American" argument, since I can't afford an LRBArms M14SA.  Yet.

In the past, I've bought Chinese products where I couldn't get equivalent features in a U.S.-made product.  Of course I could get an LRBArms gun, but we're talking 3x the price.  Now I'm more of the opinion that I buy something cheap first, figure out what I want, and then spend the big bucks to get it.  Practicality before ideology?

There were a couple M14 gunsmiths mentioned on the forums:

And then there's Smith Enterprise, but I have a feeling I can't afford to have them do the work--if I could, I might as well go the LRB route!

No comments: