2012-01-06

The Making of Barrels

Since I was gawking at Sherline mini-lathes, I had to wonder how to do the rifling.  (Well, the mini-lathe might be able to turn down a handgun barrel....)  Apparently it's pretty tricky, as one might expect.

One good overview is by a guy at Border Barrels, a manufacturer in the UK, where he details cut rifling, button rifling, and hammer rifling.  (The first version I came across was an archived version online.)  Apparently cut rifling is superior.  I thought hammer rifling would be best, because the mandrel can be made to precise tolerances, but apparently the work stress due to hammering is a problem.

Krieger Barrels' website also has a bit on barrel-making, as well as an interesting article on cleaning and breaking in.

Actually, a mill would be more useful to me than a lathe, and probably learning how to weld sheet metal would be even more useful to me than being able to mill.  It'd be interesting to be able to finish 80% AR-15 receivers, though....

No comments: