2010-10-18

Bi-Metal Jackets

So I have some Brown Bear .223 that have steel lacquered cases.  I fired nearly 500 through my M4gery with no cleaning and it kept running.  The only downside was a bit of carbon buildup on the tang of the bolt.

Well, I found out that BB also has bi-metal jackets.  That is, a thin steel jacket plated with copper (to about 0.005", or so it says on the interwebz).  This was something a concern for me, although with the AR-15 platform, changing the barrel is relatively easy, so it's better than hosing the barrel on my .308, which requires a hydraulic press.  A post on XDTalk has a couple links to Arfcom: a ComBloc ammo FAQ and people's experience with Wolf black box.

In general, it sounds like the steel used in the jacket is extremely mild, so the additional barrel wear would be negligible relative to the wear from firing.  For expensive rifles, then, it'd be best to not use el cheapo bi-metal jacketed ammo, but for typical plinking purposes it's fine.  Kind of what you'd expect.

No comments: