2009-12-09

NRA & Firearms Freedom Act

Posted commentary on this article.
I too was disgusted by the NRA's lack of support for the Firearms Freedoms Act laws in several states. Just like their unfulfilled promise to work to repeal the Hughes Amendment of the FOPA (banning civ ownership of machineguns manufactured post-1986), they talk like they're for preserving rights, but fall far short. I sent the NRA a letter to that effect, but I suppose my remarks will be ignored.

Granted, the Montana law was intended to force a showdown regarding the enforceability of intra-state jurisdiction of the ATF. They didn't intend to make use of the law until a ruling was solidified at the SCOTUS level. The NRA is right that actually ignoring the un-Constitutional 1968 GCA is dangerous (the ATF will kick down your door and shoot you), but the wording was highly unsatisfactory.

Support the NRA since the gun-rights winds are judged by their membership. Then really support the Gun Owners of America. The GOA is by far the best pro-gun rights group out there.

1 comment:

::G said...

Surprisingly enough, I received a reply from the NRA with regard to the letter I sent. A lot of it was placating, with some attachments that I need to read and react to. The problem with all the talk and such is that it takes time, time that could be spent on actually doing.