2009-04-01

Mega-Expensive Baby Travel Systems

The wife is trying to get me to buy a new travel system for the kid. I'm trying to avoid buying shit from fucking China, so that means I'm going to pay through the nose. (We found a reasonably-priced U.S.-made infant car seat, and reasoned that the cheap imported stroller base was ok since it wouldn't actually touch the kid.)

I'd been looking at Peg Perego's products, since they're made in Italy. For a seat with the lesser grade stroller base (P3), the set is about $600 plus S&H. The higher grade stroller base (Switch) is $400 itself, but allows forward- and rearward-facing placement of the seat rather than just forward.

Then I found Orbit Baby, which is apparently what a lot of celebs use. Their stuff costs even more than Peg Perego. The thing is, they never say "made in USA" so I'm guessing it's not. If I were to shell out $1k for a stroller system and it was made in China, I think I'd have to take a dump in the box and send it back.

No comments: