2009-04-30

Baby Girls

There's actually a good op-ed piece on CNN, about a mother of two boys who's dreading her 3rd kid being a girl. My comments:
Hey, thanks for writing this article. When my wife and I found out we were pregnant, I immediately assumed it was a boy, because in my family the past two generations had only boys. Before we found out the baby's sex, I said I didn't care which, just as long as he/she was born healthy. When we found out the baby was a girl, I felt a pang of disappointment in not having a son first, then panic in "I don't know how to deal with a girl!" The anxiety persisted until well after our daughter was born. Once she started developing her personality and reacting to me, though, I came to the realization that she's just as much of a blessing as a son, if not more. Actually, seeing friends' boys run about and smash stuff, I'm kind of glad I have a princess to ease me into fatherhood. Odds are she'll be a tomboy like her mother, but even if she's not, she'll still be my little girl. In the end, you'll enjoy having your girl -- she'll push your envelope just like I'm sure your boys did!
Of course, I object to the part about her not allowing toy weapons in the house. My kid will be shooting real guns as soon as she's strong enough to handle the recoil.

No comments: