2005-05-09

Laptop Madness

Nakao-san and I got in a discussion about notebook computers (as well as mini-notebooks and sub-notebooks) rather than doing real work. Well, I just wasted an hour and a half of my life in a stupid CI meeting, so I'm even worse for the wear. My worklist is pretty long, too.

Vaio 505 - This is the only PC notebook I really have any interest in. Thin, "single spindle" (no optical drive), usable keyboard, and decent specs (for a laptop). Unfortunately, the price tag is still a bit too hefty: it used to be about \250000, now it's more like \170000 (~$1600). The weird thing is that for heat dissipation, there's a large space between the keyboard and the screen rather than for usage as a wrist-rest.
OQO - The OQO's been out for a while, so where's model 2? What I really want is a Vaio 505 that's also a tablet. The thumbpad on the OQO is just not suitable for writing code or docs on the fly. Otherwise, I'd get a Zaurus. The Transmeta processor probably is none too fast, either.
Vaio Type T - Nakao-san's drooling over this one. Not bad. Still a little too thick, and the battery placement leaves something to be desired. Then there's the price tag.
Muramasa - Another oldie from about the same generation as the 505. This is closer to the OQO in that it uses a Transmeta Efficion. Nakao-san mentioned Toshiba released a newer machine, but I'm not a Toshiba fan. I'd rather go Sharp than Toshiba, at least until they put out something really cool that makes me look past the brand name.

No comments: