2005-05-09

Gaim, SILC, and Doxygen

I've been using Trillian as an IM client (mostly because of the name, from HHGTTG), but lately I've decided to switch over to Gaim. The decision wasn't because I'm a big fan of open source. Gaim has secure messaging (via SILC), supports Unicode, and there's a plug-in available for Sametime (what we use at Hitachi GST, because it's what we used at IBM).

Interestingly, Gaim's source has documentation in Doxygen format. This looks really cool in that it can generate a graph of source file relations as well as extract the structure from source files for rudimentary outlines of undocumented code. Back in college, a long, long time ago, I wrote an auto-documenter program in Perl for a software project. One of my teammates and I discussed making an improved version, but neither of us ever got around to it. I guess in the open source world, if it doesn't exist, someone will do it.

No comments: