2018-04-17

Ethash-Based Alts

I must've posted something like this on Facebook, because I don't see it here.

WhatToMine shows that often Ethash-based altcoins like Expanse (EXP), Ubiq (UBQ), and Musicoin (MUSIC) are at times more profitable than ETH.  Trezor supports EXP and UBQ via MyEtherWallet.  Musicoin apparently can be supported via MEW.  There aren't any such instructions for Metaverse, which for a while last week was the alt on top.  There are a few options, but the lack of easy support makes it a hassle.

The reason I started looking into this is because 1060 cards were still north of $300, but 1050s (non-Ti) were around $150.  The Ethash hashrate of 1050s is shown to be around 13.9 MH/s, whereas 1060s are 22.5 (somewhat optimistically); the power usage is 53W for the former and 70W for the latter.  So the thought was to build a rig of 1050s.  At least before the Antminer E3 came out.

I should've snagged one while it was $800, because I knew I'd be able to use it.  The real problem was that I didn't know where I'd put it...I'm out of space and circuits as it is.  Chance favors the prepared, and I was unprepared when Bitmain opened it up to 5 per person--and of course after Vitalik Buterin's announcement that they weren't going to fight ASICs (until PoS, that is), Bitmain jacked up the price to $1800.

The thing is, a build of 1060s would cost more than an E3 at that price, but the power usage would be 2/3, and it could mine other alts as well.  There's utility in GPUs still, but it's costly and troublesome to maintain.

Bonus: In MEW's FAQs is a link to a place with free SSL certs, which could be useful.  There's gotta be a catch, though.

No comments: