2018-02-11

Python Scripts

If I don't clean these tabs off my phone, they'll be there forever!  Two more:
  1. noethfee.py, a hack to redirect the mining devfee via IP tables, specifically for Claymore
  2. watchdog.py, a script to drive the USB hardware watchdog dongle available on Amazon
I had to run with the latter because the one featured in a YT video, the SSR, is out of stock, and I got sick of the crummy system locking up.  The USB dongle is nice because it has power and reset buttons on it: it avoids the need for a separate cable, and it's nicer, too.  The one I got has a heartbeat LED, although Kid#1 commented it'd be more like a heartbeat if it were red instead of blue.

As one might expect, there's a gotcha.  If the GPUs lock up but the script can still run, then the system doesn't reboot, so there's a window between the software watchdog in Claymore and the hardware watchdog where the rig stays in zombie mode.  Perhaps an IoT power outlet is required to address that case, as well as to log power usage.

Maybe I'll have to learn Python after all; these useful scripts are after all in that language.

No comments: