2011-04-30

Log Books

This is kind of a link dump because it's been in my reader for a while and I need to cut down on tabs.

I have a Moleskine notebook that I got for recording data for one rifle in particular, and wasn't sure what I should log in it.  In my search for info, one useful forum thread popped up on PAFOA.

From the OP:
The data log for a given shooting session would include altitude, temperature, air density, date, time, wind speed and direction, the ammunition specs, number of rounds fired for the barrel used, point of aim, point of impact, range, group sizes, round count, scope elevation needed, windage adjustments, departure angle, light direction, etc.
Additional comments:
If you are reloading I would keep track of your load data, and so you can see how it performs differently at different temperatures and pressures, etc. You mentioend keeping track of air density, but you might also want to keep track of barometric pressure, they are actually slightly different, but both do increase and decrease in a similar fashion. I would also keep track of my throat length in the chamber in the log book (just whenever you measure it, not every page), so you can adjust the seating depth of your loads, etc as you need to. I know alot of shooters like to keep track of how they "feel" as well; like if they're tired, nervous, stressed, had too much caffeine, need a cigarette, etc, cold, etc.
He also noted cold-bore data should be logged if making that first shot is an objective.

No comments: