2011-02-15

Big Berkey

As part of my emergency preparedness setup, I was looking at getting a water filter, specifically the Big Berkey.  While many of the reviews on Amazon and elsewhere are positive, I read one that claimed the test results were faked.  Indeed, I found two different versions [1, 2] of a test report that raised my suspicions.

Regardless, if the filter works as well as Brita, as is claimed in other reviews, then it'd be worth getting since given the claimed 3000-gal element life for $50 is much cheaper than Brita.  Another thing that bugs me is that there's no description of the difference between the older Super Sterasyl elements and the newer Black Berkey elements.

Anyway, one guy made his own filter unit using the Black Berkey elements and a couple 5-gal buckets.  Now that's ingenuity!

No comments: