2011-01-14

Sued

A few days ago a coworker asked me and MRG to produce a list of products since Jan. 1, 2003 with the corresponding data channel used.  He said it was for a patent lawsuit, but didn't have additional information.  Yesterday he told me that the plaintiff is a company called Lake Cherokee, so we googled it and found the lawsuit: Lake Cherokee Hard Drive Technologies v. Hitachi Global Storage Technologies, LSI Logic, STMicroelectronics, Marvell Semiconductor, et al.  ("Hard Drive Technologies"?  What the fuck do they do besides sue real HDD-related companies?)

Turns out this has to do with something I heard about a couple months ago: the senior integration guy was looking for specs dating back to the late '90s.  This was before I joined, but I knew where to find the info.  The first item in the lawsuit shouldn't apply to HGST, because the internal channel's error measurement circuit predates '98—we have prior art.  The second one might be applicable; I don't actually know the details.

No comments: