2009-03-03

'Social media is like teen sex'

I just couldn't resist commenting.
Even better said than Mr. Kaushik, who must be from an era gone by. As for the metaphor (well, this commentary is over-analysis for sure), my generation was well-steeped in "pr0n", and I think pretty much everyone who was inclined to do it knew how. Of course, Mr. Kaushik meant "no one knows how to do it right" -- the efforts we see are stab-in-the-dark attempts to gain experience to do it right.

That "everyone claims to be an expert" seems to represent well the typical American characteristic of thinking too highly of their ability to get things done, hence much of the overconfidence and hype. (Disclaimer: I'm American, and while I eschew egotistic behavior, I imagine I'm guilty of it from time to time.) Conversely, my experience in the said metaphor wasn't that it was sub-par relative to expectations, but rather that everything else that went along with the relationship was hard to deal with. For me, social media is similar: the cost of the desired result in work involved isn't a good tradeoff.

Depending on one's temperament, it may be better to pass over quick gratification for a more mature "user experience" a couple years down the road that may be less emotionally scarring ;-)

No comments: