2005-12-08

PGP Desktop & Forum Support Rant

This past week I bought PGP Desktop Professional 9.0 for Macintosh. I had some problems, so I posted a note on the support forum.

I'm kinda pissed that I shelled out $150 for the software and have had problems with it. I've wasted at least a couple hours tinkering with the thing trying to get it to run as it should. Granted, my setup is more complicated than most end users'. Still, most people that use Macs probably have more money than time -- which is the main reason I use them, other than that Microsoft overcharges for their software -- which means that problems like this are especially bad for the user. Strange how many software companies think they can just charge more for the Mac version without added functionality or even the same stability as the Windows version (that comment wasn't directed at PGP specifically).

What really pisses me off about the software industry is that there's this trend toward forums rather than real support. I have to read a bunch of other people's issues first, and I don't have that kind of time to spend. Forum admins should be responsible for putting together FAQs of previously answered questions. And why should I have to pay more for support when I already shelled out several hours' wages for a product that's not working as it should?

1 comment:

::G said...

Followed up on my original post and replied to another post in the forums.