2005-11-28

Input Devices

I was looking for alternate input devices again because I really didn't feel like working (you might say I have a "case of the Mondays"). Previously I'd toyed with the idea of buying a Datahand, but even at half price ($500) it seems a bit questionable. A 90-day warranty is too short, and in order to get Dvorak one has to buy the more expensive model and pay for the extra key mapping, for a total of about $800. Ouch.

So I found an old review on this device called the TouchStream ST, which is another funky keyboard/mouse combo, but when I wandered over to the company website (FingerWorks), they've apparently gone out of business.

If I ever become independently wealthy and get a lot of time on my hands, I'd love to make some input device review site. Even today, there's a lack of decent input devices. I've had to relegate myself to Microsoft ergonomic keyboards, which makes me feel dirty somehow. (I really shouldn't talk, because I own Microsoft stock....)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Gerad! It's Jason Martens, that old weirdo from Animate! Ohio State. I just stumbled on your blog here... it's like reliving old times.

Anyway, about ergonomic keyboards. If you can live without that clicky key goodness of the old IBM Model M (still the best keyboard ever made, IMO), then the next best thing is the TypeMatrix EX-Reach 2020; a little more pricey than Microsoft's Natural keyboards, but at least you'll be paritally spared living under The Shadow of Redmond in some small way. Check it out:

http://www.typematrix.com

I have it both on my Mac Mini and aging Digital Audio G4, and it's a pretty nice bit of kit; a lot better than the keyboards the come with Apple machines, anyway. Heck, it even makes emacs easy to use... and that's saying something.

Cheers!

::G said...

Hi Jason! Thanks for the comment. I checked out the site, and I think I may have to get the 2020 labelled with both Qwerty and Dvorak. I've kinda wanted to get into Dvorak, but all the options I've seen are pretty spendy. Even though the 2020 may not have the angled split that I usually look for, it looks worth trying.

I'll try sending you a note at the last email address I have for you (noacsc). Hopefully it gets through.